Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 107--Postal Service mornings


I love morning that start with The Postal Service and a new chapter of fanfiction.  My boyfriend and I got to sleep in today in the first time in ages and it was absolutely delightful to be nice and warm together instead of that damned alarm clock screeching at one of us.  

It feels like an overcast day in the beach, which is how I like it the mornings.  If every day could start with light rain in the morning, and burn into hot sunshine by noon I would be a happiest person.  

I have a little less than 5 hours before work so I think we might start some laundry at the laundry mat and do a grocery run.  I'm dying to get some BBQ food now since my mom bought him a little grill.  I have an usual desire to grill bananas.  We'll see.

My presentation of hosting a contest to get a high school student published went really well.  I impressed my she-enemy by my thoroughness of grant research and she was much more talkative to me the rest of the day.  I probably overdid it by praising her too much in the meeting, but I was nervous.  D., who's in charge of design (book cover design, type of paper, type of font, number of pages, ect) suggested a theme of "Overcoming Bullying" for the contest as an outlet for the students and as a way to partner with a non-profit for grants.  And all of them think that funding will be feasible within the year deadline I've created. The owner came up to me later in the day to congratulate me on my publishing contest idea--which completely validated that publishing is a career I can be a part of. I was giddy all the way home.

I also had an author event later that night with Richard Carrico who was presenting a lecture about Judy Van Der Veer, a prolific writer from Ramona, San Diego back in the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s.  She was a remarkable women who ran her own ranch all her life and hung out with the widows of London and Steinbeck, and famous female rodeo riders from WWII.  She was well-reviewed in the NY Times and Europe as well as San Diego.  But she's been largely forgotten today.  Ursula Le Guin and Carrico are trying to bring her back to the forefront.  Carrico is such a typical academic writer.  Thorough, funny, but with a haughtiness that peeks out a little too much.

Anyway, I better get going.  I saw that I missed a call from a good old friend last night and I'm excited to catch up.  Till next time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment