Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Day 155-- When you're replaced by the "new girl" at work


There are about 14 different reasons why I hate my job* and this is number #14: Almost every day I come in, there is a shitty surprise waiting for me.  Today's surprise was a new girl.

Now I like new employees, honestly.  New blood refreshes the dynamic of a group, and can be a good excuse to relearn things I'm rusty on.  However, the bright and shininess of the new girl today only mirrored back my morose cynicism about my job.  Don't worry, I tried to hide it well and give her a good first impression.

She's new enough not to notice the ripped up carpets, or the piss-poor rooms for the price, or understands that "sass" from M. is just the beginning of her being a cold-hearted back-stabbing bitch, or has experienced missing out on holidays or Saturday nights or dinner with the person she loves, or having to cancel plans because work won't let her leave on time.  She's new enough to see it all as exciting, not a death trap of her spirits.

Maybe's she's just being 20 and she's only worked for 2 years with this being her fourth job and she lives at home so she only needs money for clothes.  I mean, 23 isn't that much older, but maybe that three extra years and 8* jobs (I'm including the internship, and working at an office for 2 weeks while my burnt foot healed at the coffee shop) has harden me to know the difference between good jobs and bad ones.  And maybe my money going to utilities and the dentists makes working less enjoyable.  I dunno.  Maybe I just really hate the hotel.

I started looking for a new job this morning.  It's a little harder than what it was at the beginning of the summer because now I'm not just looking for a job, I'm looking for one that's going to make me happy to be there.  Out of the 8 jobs, 4 of them were awesome so I know jobs like that do exist. Hope the new girl turns out to be my replacement!

*the other 13 Reasons I Hate My Job
1.) I work Saturday nights
2.) M. is a cold-hearted backstabbing bitch to me
3.) I never get to leave on time
4.) I work at a crappy-looking hotel
5.) I work nearly 9-hour days, plus an hour total commute round-trip to get there. 
6.) I hate being sent to the even crappier hotel, even if it is just to cover their lunch breaks
7.) I hate when they abandon me and make me work by myself.  I like co-workers.
8.) I get shit for taking time off for my grandma's birthday/my cousin's wedding/Thanksgiving
9.) The computers are slower than dial-up and the system is confused and out-dated
10.) I'm STILL waiting for the uniform
11.) My schedule changes every week by huge margins.  Ex. I got off work at 8:30pm tonight; I have to be there at 7am tomorrow.
12.) I don't make enough money
13.) I'm not able to get dental until next September

1 comments:

Saher said...

Jenn you can find an awesome full time or even part time job that is flexible and will give you benefits within the usual 90 day period like most good jobs. I think you need to leave this hotel job and find one of those! :)

I just got my benefit package a few weeks ago, before I even hit my 90 day period on my job, which was pretty sweet. I don't need my health insurance b/c I'm still on my parents, but I wish I could honestly give you my benefits to help you out hun. You're making me worried, please find something new!!! :) xoxo

Post a Comment