Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 38 -- Cooking challenge/breakfast recipe


So the bf and I have a food challenge that just started today.  I cook for two days (breakfast, lunch, dinner), he cooks for two days (breakfast, lunch, dinner), me one more day, then him one more day.  I'll be posting up recipes as I go along. 

So far I've made breakfast, which was a success.  For each recipe I'll be posting a prologue of why I chose the dish, and then a review after the recipe direction.
Prologue:

Eggs with fruit is a usual staple of our mornings but today I wanted to dress it up.  I happened to find these little glass dipping bowls in one of my moving boxes and thought they would be perfect to hold the strawberries and banana slices.  The cooked tomato idea was inspired by my favorite cookbook What to Cook and How to Cook It in their English Breakfast recipe. The trick to this dish is all about timing and order.

Fried Eggs over medium, with Cooked Tomato, and Mixed Fruit

prep time: 4 minutes
cook time total: 15 minutes
makes: 2 servings

Ingredients

4 eggs
2 slices of bread
1 small tomato
6 strawberries
1 banana
1 lettuce leaf torn in half for presentation
butter
salt and pepper

Directions

1.) This dish is all about timing so first and foremost turn on your oven to broiler.  While that heats up, wash your strawberries and split them up into two small dipping bowls.  Cut up one banana into the two bowls as well. Place the fruit bowls into the refrigerator until everything's cooked.

2.) Cut your tomato in half and place the slices face up directly onto the rack. Wait about 5-7 minutes for the tomatoes to get a head start cooking.  Leave them in there as you cook the rest of the dish.

3.) Take out two pans and crack two eggs into each pan.  As they sizzle, toast your two slices of toast and take out your lettuce leaf.  Wash the leaf and split into two pieces and place each piece on a plate.  This is what your tomato is going to be resting on.

4.) Cook your eggs as you like them--I tend to flip them like a pancake once the yolk is fairly firm and add a little salt and pepper.  By this time your toast should be done, so butter them up and cut each slice in half.  Place the slices on your plates.

5.) Transfer your cooked eggs onto the plate as well as your fruit bowls.  Lastly, take out the tomato slices using tongs and place on the leaves.  Done!

Review: 

This breakfast looked really pretty.  It's amazing what a dipping bowl and a lettuce leaf can do for look appeal.  I ate everything on my plate except for the whole tomato slice.  I've always been iffy about tomatoes but it definitely was a fun thing to try.  On a side note, the boyfriend ate everything on his plate so you might enjoy the whole dish a well.  Happy cooking!
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment