Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 34--Kayaking on a lake


Happy 4th of July!  It's been a really marvelous time out here in Arkansas for the bf's family reunion, including last night when we boated down to the lake to watch the fireworks off the dam (while munching on cinnamon popcorn, I might add). 

It's still snuggly humid out here, but it's been raining since last night which means I won't be kayaking today.

I am not a sporty girl, which isn't for lack of trying.  I've attempted snowboarding, snow skiing, indoor sky-diving, soccer, baseball, football, pool, jogging, bowling, swimming, yoga, ect ect.

Through it all I have found that I am good at exactly two sports: badminton (stop laughing) and as of this week, amateur kayaking on a calm lake.  

I can't tell you how excited I was to see three beautiful kayaking floating out on his parents' dock when we arrived a few days ago.  It's a sport I've been wanting to try for years and could never bring myself to sign up for a class by myself.  This week was the week to finally get out there!

Kayaking on a lake is surprisingly easy (thank God). There are two basic steps: (1) Get into the kayak and (2) Paddle.

1.) Get in the kayak

The kayaks I've been using have been tied up with a clip to the dock.  There seems to be two popular ways of getting in and I've done both this trip.  Before you do anything, put your paddle inside of the kayak so it's there once you're inside.  Now, the first option of getting inside is to be really careful and simply put one leg in, balance, put in the other foot, sit down, and have someone unclip you.  Several people have lost their balance while doing this option so it's not recommended.

The other option of getting into the kayak is to put the kayak half on shore to start off.  Once again, put the paddle inside the kayak so it's there before you get in.  Now put one leg in and then the other and sit down.  Use your hands to push off the shore and start paddling to deeper water.

2.) Paddle
 
The paddles have slightly curved blades at the ends which look like vague ice cream scoopers.  You're going to want your blades scooping the water like you're pushing the water back. This is what's going to propel you forward.

Hold the paddle about shoulder length wide with your two hands.  When you dip into the water to "scoop" it back (making your kayak go forward) you really don't have to dip more than just below the surface. 



Since both of your arms are on the paddle the more dipped one side is, the higher up the other side is. Dip shallow so that the paddle doesn't go higher than your shoulder otherwise your arms will be strained.  [see photo to right]

Dip/scoop on the right side to make your kayak go to the left. Dip/scoop on the left side to make your kayak go to the right.  Dip right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left to move your kayak forward.

To stop or slow down just stick the paddle blade flat into the water or start dipping/scooping in the opposite direction to move the water forward instead of behind you.

3.) Getting out.  

Just reverse how you did it getting in.  Either dock yourself sorta on shore and take one foot out and then the other, or, get someone to clip you to the dock and step one foot out on the dock and then the other while keeping balance.

Have fun out there!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Kayaking sounds like so much fun. I am inspired to go out and try it!

Saher said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. I tried rowing a boat once, didn't go so well...so I doubt I'd be good at kayaking, but hey I'm good at a couple of other sports, so I'll take what I've got, lol.

Ink Blots and Flip-Flops said...

Kayaking is such a blast. I'm not sure how I'll do on the bay or the ocean compared to a still lake, but it's worth a shot. Sarah, when you come down here maybe we should try it. Saher, I haven't forgotten that you beat me at badminton.

Post a Comment