Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 31--My 7 tips to pack with just one carry-on


Yikes, it's incredible that two flights of terrifying turbulence can get me to order my first in-flight cocktail while trying to remember all of the words to "Hail Mary, full of grace".  Anyway.

I've done a bit of traveling in my day, and always with just a carry-on.  I got chewed out once for having checked-in baggage so I've been able to travel places in all weather and all lengths of time with just one backpack.  It's saved me so much time and space, and I highly recommend it.

I'm sure you all know how to pack, but here are a few tips from me about packing your life for a week or less in just one backpack.

#1.) Get out a piece of paper and plot out each day's outfit.  

Yes, I know this sounds silly, but by visualizing everything beforehand you won't over-pack and you won't under-pack either.  Stick figures are totally fine, or just write it out.  This will also help in your packing order of Sun-bottom, Sat--next to bottom, Fri--middle, Thur--towards the top, Fri--pjs on top.  

#2.) Yes or no, are you taking your laptop?

Since you're using a backpack the flattest item should be placed along the back so it's flat against you.  The laptop, if you chose to bring it, should be the first thing you should put in (but if you're flying, put in last since you'll have to pull it out for security check).

#3.) Put things in packing order based on the days.

As I said in number #1, pack your clothes in the reverse order of your days.  Sun-bottom, Sat--next to bottom, Fri--middle, Thur--towards the top, Fri--pjs on top, ect  What I love about standard school backpacks is that they almost always have side pockets, and I use this for my shaving bag on one side, hair dryer or heels on the other.

#4.) Always bring a dress

You never know

#5.)  Invest in a shaving bag or a make-up bag (even a pencil case will work)

I love my little pink shaving bag.  It's pretty much an oversized pencil case and it's just big enough for my toothbrush, some make-up, my razor, and deodorant.  Having a little to-go bag saves you so much room in packing.

#6.) Don't for about the forgettables

Did you remember your
--Phone charger?
--Contact solution?
--Razor?
--Toothbrush?
--Hair brush/hair dryer?

I have forgotten my contact solution and contact case soooooo many times.  Make sure it's all 2oz or under for airports.

#7.) Bring socks

I don't care if you're going to Death Valley in July, bring socks.  This is a lesson I've been stupid about over and over again.  I don't care if it's hot as hell during the day, that hotel or that friend's house might be freezing at night.  Or maybe they just don't allow shoes in the house.

Happy travels, and cheers!

1 comments:

Saher said...

After becoming one of those students that has to travel to a different state to her a family, I definitely learned how to pack light and efficiently. Good tips for sure and I agree on all of them. I was worried when moving from CA to VA I would have to ship things, but miraculously, with the help of my mom of course, I was able to bring everything within...get this...3 suitcases! I was definitely proud, haha.

Post a Comment