Friday, May 25, 2012

Day 360-- How to make a copywriter's portfolio


This entry is still a learning experience as there seems to be little clarity in what a copywriter's portfolio should actually look like.  So far I have gathered:

1.) There should be a hard copy portfolio
2.) There should be about 12 pieces
3.) You should only show your best work.

Well that's helpful.  Is the outside of a portfolio like a fancy binder?  Should all of the examples of writing be in protective sheets?  I read something about rationals; (a) what are those, and (b) where do you put them?


So for now my current outline of my portfolio is something like this:

I. Resume
II. Corporate writing
III. Publishing
IV. Design work
V. Advertisement and Reviews
VI. Letters of recommendation

Tasks this weekend: spruce up the resume and cover letter, make more copies of my corporate writing, figure out how to convert a indd (indDsign) files into pdfs even though I know longer have inDesign, print out my best review and advertisement I did for the publishing house, print out my business cards, and buy a portfolio binder.

Then there's there's the issue of picking out a new interview outfit because I feel like close-toed shoes are appropriate and mine are torn up, plus I'd rather have a light gray skirt than my dark one.  Oh, and I also have to you know, apply for a job.  And hopeful get that job knowing I'll probably have to take 8 days off if I go on the family vacation (or possible get fired from my current job since they don't give out vacations in July).  Whatever!  I'll figure it out.  Time for bed though.  Three days of 7am shifts in a row are killer.  Night!

0 comments:

Post a Comment