Thursday, May 31, 2012

Day 366 (c)-- Conclusion


Well, my friends it's the end of the blog.  My whole first year post-college.  I had thought that I would have more sentiment or analysis coming to the end of things, but my mind is quite delightfully buzzing with new projects.  [*366 because of leap year]

For starters, I'm working on starting my own online literary magazine.  You might recall back in February when I wanted to start an online magazine dedicated to twentysomething girls who are stylishly trying to figure out all this career, love, and life madness.  I haven't given up on the dream, but I'm simply not prepared for the amount of attention and designer skills a full-fledged magazine requires so I'm excited to create something I'm more familiar with: a literary magazine.

A lit magazine basically covers submissions of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry, and is often associated with a university.  I was a co-fiction editor for my school's lit mag during my senior year of college so this should be right up my alley.  I'm hoping to launch in August and might have some friends on board for resume-builder positions like Publicist and COO.  Right now I'm looking for templates and hope to have images and fonts up this week.

I also have a very real itch to quit my job and go on a 3-week backpacking trip to the upper East Coast.  Top city picks: Savannah, GA, Charleston, SC, Charlotte, NC, Raleigh, NC, Richmond, VA, Washington D.C., Rhode Island, Boston, Maine, and Brooklyn.  And I still plan on going to Seattle/Portland in August or September.

Basically the situation is this: I might be getting fired because I'm going on my boyfriend's family's trip (if you've been in a family for over 5 years can you say it's your family too?) during peak summer hours.  I mean, I get my work saying no.  I actually do get it.  And since the job sucks anyway and my lease is up at the end of July maybe I should just quit at the end of July and hit the road for a few weeks and return to San Diego all refreshed and inspired.  And I am super stoked about the family reunion.  I can't wait to see everyone and catch up, and kayak, and swim, and maybe finally see that Civil War site. 

But back to today, a year later, and my blog's conclusion.  Did I accomplish my goals for this year?

--Get a job. Preferable a good one.

Well, I've had 3 jobs this past year.  There was that one at the coffee shop I worked at for 2 days and was the first job I ever quit because the training was piss poor [they expected me to learn how to cook the food when the chef was gone by "read the menu" and "osmosis"], plus I didn't like how I'd be working alone so much and closing by myself felt a little creepy.  I did like my unpaid job at the publishing house for three months.  I completely fell in love with reading unpublished manuscripts and meeting authors and researching bookstores.  But the people were all over 55, too quiet, too petty, and the business was always about to go out of business.

And lastly, front desk at the hotel which has been my least favorite job of all time.  I hate having an inconsistent schedule, working with backstabbing bitches, being "punished" by being sent to the even shitter hotel, and pretending to give a fuck about who takes 40 minutes lunches instead of 30.  It's been such a downer on my health and psyche, but it has taught me patience and what I truly want out of life.  I'm hoping to quit by the end of July if I'm not fired first for taking a vacation while working in the vacation business. 

--Live in a cool house

I've lived in 2 houses this past year and both were cool in their own ways but not the "home" I was looking for.  I enjoyed living with my boyfriend and his roommates.  I liked all of us cooking together and waking up next to him every morning, and days started with The Postal Service and walks to the beach.  But it was too cramped.  And we're just not in a place to live with each other, just us.  And I'm surprisingly ok with that.  I'm not ready to be a settled down couple in a our apartment; I still like having roommates and other energy around.  And my current place with the 5 girls has been so-so.  I moved here out of desperation and it's been that disjointed house the whole time.  I don't hang out with them and I'm cool with that.  I love how my room is my office, with tons of candles and colorful scarves hanging from the walls.  I'll probably move in my the bf temporarily after my lease is up and go from there.  

--Make friends 

My least accomplished goal this year.  I haven't been lonely and consider my bf's roommates as people I go to movies or plays or cook with.  But those best friends I can share the weight of the world with and who inspire me and I inspire them to be better people?  No, not yet. 

--Eat things besides Mac&Cheese and pizza

I'd say this has been a successful goal.  I've made quite a few things this year like enchiladas, French onion soup, steak with parsley butter, and peach cobbler.  Granted, I still eat a lot of junk food because it's cheaper but I really am trying to change that.

--Do yoga at least twice a week/Jog a few times a week

So...I've gained like 5 pounds this year, which is noticeable when you only weigh 90. I'm confident I can lose if I just change my diet somewhat and actually exercise.  I guess 23-24 was my body's limit for reckless eating.  And I mean, when Cheez-its cost .50 and and healthy salad costs $9.50 guess what I've been eating the past six months?  So yeah, I definitely need to get an fitness routine going like jogging, crunches, and pole dancing.
 
--Make a financial investment 

 The economy is shit so I didn't make the kind of investment I had hoped.  But I did spend a ton of money becoming a resident of California, and kitchenware to learn how to cook, and a new bed set with white sheets/comforter with lush red pillows, an iPhone 4s, new glasses, a huge chunk of money on my teeth (floss!), and my G.R.E. study guide. 

--Have better style

Working on it.  I have some dresses I really like, and a basic interview outfit, and some hippy shoes and tanks, but yeah, still working on this one.
 
--A year from now, be able to be proud of something I've made and become.

I'm really proud of this blog : D

Thank you very much for reading.  And wish me luck in my post-college life.  It's not about one year, or two years, or Mays or Junes, it's just life.  A beautiful life of sandy flip-flops, farmer's markets, driving fast in a Beetle, vanilla tea candles, and a college diploma on the wall.  

Peace and best wishes to you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment