Thursday, January 12, 2012

Day 215-- Sherlock Homes: A Game of Shadows movie review

Prologue: [feel free to skip to the actual review]

It appeared to be an average Tuesday night.  The bf told me he was picking me up for dinner and I assumed it would be at our usual nice-than-average spot, where I'd get my usual meal.  For some reason though I decided to ditch the faded jeans and acknowledge the itch to wear my expensive white Express coast and a magenta patterned scarf I save for trips up in the snow.

He picked me up and out of the blue started asking me about current movies. Ok, usual dinner + not so usual movie date (thank you, HBO and pirating). 

However, he starting drifting north and said quite causally that he was taking me out to Cinapolis, an upscale movie theater in very upscale Del Mar.  I was fucking im-pressed. We drove with a smile on my lips and a slight grin on his face knowing he was successful in his surprise. 

Cinapolis lives up to the hype.  The theaters are small, there's a snazzy full kitchen and bar at the entrance, you choose your seat as you buy your ticket, and tickets themselves are about $20 a piece because the chairs are automatic recliners and there is a button on every armrest to call for a waiter.  Oh, and you can bring booze into the theater too.

I was charmed.  And with the not-so-average Tuesday night being taken care of by him, I treated us to dinner at Sammi's and got mozzarella pizza for me, lamb chops for him, and some thai chicken skewers to split.  What can I say, it's nice to pretend to be in the 1%.

Sherlock Holmes review:

Now that I was reclined with a medium hot chocolate and my boyfriend with his glass of wine, here started Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

The curious thing about These Sherlock Holmes movies: no one can ever seem to remember the plot.  Like an enjoyable mist, it washes over us viewers in pleasure but we hardly remember it when it's over.  I know there was something about Sherlock's arch nemesis Professor Moriarty's desire to start a world war for political strategy or money or both, or...something.

There were plenty of tricks and quips, and the unflappable bromance of Sherlock and Dr.Watson, played by a comedically spry Jude Law (Watson), and Robert Downing Jr. as the dashing action hero-meets-fool-meets brilliant detective of Holmes.
There are trains, bombs, slight of hand, beautiful gypsies, 5 o'clock shadows on charming men in London suits, and a few nice surprises along the way--none which I particularly remember.  

It's cheeky without the snark. It's clever without the self-indulgence.  And on chilly winter Tuesday night, this may be the perfect cup of tea.

0 comments:

Post a Comment