Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Day 191-- Wrex the Halls concert review


"TURN GREEN!  Jesus fuck!" I screamed and laughed at the light as my boyfriend and I jammed out in my car to "Dog Days Are Over" by Florence + The Machine on our way to the 91X's Wrex the Halls concert.  Cage the Elephant, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, Death Cab for Cutie, and Florence+Machine were headlining. 

I had been hearing the advertisements for weeks whenever I'd listen to the 91.1 station (alternative rock), but it wasn't until I was drunk with sake that actually buying the tickets seems like the right idea.  Glad I did.

We didn't get there in time for the opener due to the line that literally wrapped around the whole arena.  We had just gotten to our seats when Cage the Elephant was introduced.

Cage's biggest hits, "Ain't No Rest For the Wicked" and "Back Against the Wall" have been songs worth listening to at a party where everyone sings the lyrics together.  However, I didn't realize how much this band truly hypes the room to rage and dance.  With 4 crowd dives and non-stop energy, the band killed it and didn't quit the intensity the whole set. 

Much of the kudos has to go to lead singer Matt Shultz, who could be a cousin of Beck and Kurt Cobain, with lyrics tight as a rap artist and a sound that's part scratchy blues, part punk.  Out of all of the bands that played, Cage had the crowd the most energized and connected.  I'll be during a post in the next week about my favorite songs of 2011 and I can honestly say that "Shake Me Down" is in my top 3.  Their latest single "Aberdeen" might be appearing in my top 10.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds was up next, and the obvious choice to make our food rounds.  An $18 burger, fries, and Pepsi later we were back in our seats for the ending songs of their set.  Noel was part of the band Oasis for those who don't know--and most do, considering he had to do the obligatory "Wonderwall" song.  It's not like High Flying Birds is a bad band, they're just a talented average singer-song-writer band that waifs through songs that are forgotten 45 seconds after their over.  No offense.  

And yes, it was cool to hear "Wonderwall" though it was his brother Liam who was the original vocals on the single.  Noel's voice is much more mellow and sweet.

Next up was Death Cab for Cutie.  I admit that I was worried about this band performing in an arena.  I mean, just about everyone I know loves a little Death Cab, but their songs are often played in the car or a soundtrack or a kickbacks or in an office building.  It's a soft electric sound meant for trying on shoes at Urban Outfitters or having private moment in your life.  You know what I mean?

The crowd was pretty funny.  Several of them stood up, including the guys near our aisle who stood up and jammed on the stairs during Cage the Elephant.  This time though they just kinda stood there, like absorbing the music.

Death Cab is clearly a seasoned band who know how to rearrange their songs to make them feel slightly fresh but still familiar and loved.  It's kinda hard to describe how passionate these guys were as they hit the keys on the piano or the cymbals on the drums.  It was a treat to hear "I Will Possess Your Heart", and their newest song "You Are a Tourist" live.  I was a little bummed they didn't play any Postal Service songs (lead singer's Ben Gibbard's side project and one of my favorite bands of all time), but I'm really glad I got to see Death Cab live in my town. 

I have to say that I was surprised that Florence + The Machine was the closing act over Death Cab.  I figured that Florence + The Machine is a little too Ena meets Mumford and Sons meets a harp for an arena crowd, but apparently I was wrong.  The whole place got on their feet when Florence walked onto the stage (looking like a giant red ostrich from even the nosebleed seats).  Wow, the woman has a powerful voice.  Truly impressive.  However, it's just not my kind of music.  Not my boyfriend's either apparently, as he whispered to me, "Is she singing Gregorian chants?" during one of her songs.

We stayed until "Dog Days Are Over" which had the whole crowd jumping in their aisles, and was a nice cap to the night.

It was an interesting mix of performers and crowd-goers.  There were definitely the people in all black and mohawks, but it was pretty 50/50 of guys and girls, with the guys looking more on the alt rock side of jeans and band t-shirts, and the girls wearing the leggings/cute boots or military boots/low t-shirt/suit jacket look.  

As a weird tangent, I'd like to mention that a lot of short guys were at this concert.  I'm short so I pay attention to where short peeps hang out.  Museums are magnets for short people as well.  I digress.

I have to give credit to the flow of the music lineup.  Someone who listens to Cage the Elephant probably listens to Death Cab, and someone who listens to Death Cab probably listens to Florence+ The Machine, but someone who listens to Cage the Elephant might not necessarily listen to Florence+ The Machine.  This was a healthy hodgepodge of punk-pop-indie, and it was clear that the crowd was into all of the bands on different levels, and there's something really special about hearing your favorite songs live in front of you. 

Cheers to the bands, and cheers to 91.1X for putting together a really cool night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment