Thursday, December 15, 2011

Day 193--Bullies, resumes, and hippy bags


So Mid-- is back.  She's the bully of the hotel who only irritates those who realize that she's not kidding and she actually doesn't like you.  And she has a special spot of bullying just for me.

I don't what this bitch's problem is, but she really doesn't like me.  At first I thought it was because I was the youngest, skinniest, and suddenly the one who got the most attention.  Then I thought it was because I was friends which the night boss aka her arch nemesis.  And I definitely know she hates me because she had to work on Thanksgiving while I was up in Tahoe with my boyfriend's family.  Tough shit, lady. 

Examples: (1) she will interrupt any conversation I'm having--even it's in front of a guest.  (2) she will use my computer when I'm  using it.  (3) she plays with my hair, usually in a condescending way.  (4) she makes me do her work.  

Now, this doesn't bother me as much as you would think, because the truth of the matter is, in 10 years she'll still be working at a broke-ass hotel and I'll be working either in publishing, in media, and I'll have a master's degree. Hell, I may be leaving in a few weeks anyway so byebye, Mid--.

I just it's just annoying that she was gone for 2 weeks and I did her job better than she does, and in a faster time too.  She is replaceable.  Actually, her job could be eliminated and no one would notice.   The thing is, she's a large loud sarcastic lady so most guests love her and the new workers think she's a hoot.  She's not.

But the best part of working under a bully is that it's motivation to apply to new jobs, and a confidence boost that I can do so much better.

Tonight I researched the publishing house my former co-worker D--- recommended to me.  It's not quite what I want but if I can get my cover letter spruced up by tomorrow I'd like to ask D--- which person to send it too.  

And if this publishing house doesn't work out, I'd like to send out a cover letter and resume to a different publishing house each day starting next Monday.  If that doesn't work, then I'll try applying to the news stations around the area after Christmas.

In related news, I began the process to become a California resident again today!  It was a bit of a hard decision because I wanted to stay open to the possibility of Oregon come summer.  However, if I do land a publishing or media gig then I  clearly need to stay at the job for at least a year or more to gain experience on a resume.  Furthermore, I have a feeling that I'm going to need to learn some web design skills to be successful in my chosen field and out-of-state tuition at the community colleges are ridiculously overpriced.  And so it is.  

I'll be getting a "replacement" Arizona driver's license in the mail in 5 days (they don't expire until you're 65 years old), and from there I'll change over my car registration (due on the 21st) to California, and start practicing for the CA driving test so I can get my license. 

On a final note, I start Christmas shopping today.  I really can't afford it, but as long as I keep everyone at a $10 minimum I can still participate in one of my favorite hobbies--the chase of the perfect gift.  Like today's hunt for a hippy bag (I hope she's not reading).  I seriously hit 6 different shops looking for the perfect bag.  I wish it wasn't in red, but I love the size, feel, and design of it, and I hope she loves it too. 

Well, got to run.  The bf is cooking me dinner tonight. Peace!

0 comments:

Post a Comment