Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Day 205 (b)-- 11 reasons I hate my job


It's no secret that I hate my job and the past week of events have only highlighted further that my job is AWFUL.  My grandma likes to tell me to write things down; that crappy jobs will be useful to me in my stories.  So here's me writing them down.

1.) The man who called me asking how to turn on the heater.  You press 'on'.

2.) The lady who called me to ask if we carry milk in our soda machines.  Have you ever seen milk sold in soda machines?  Furthermore, just walk outside your room and check.

3.) The people who come in around 10:30am and get fussy that there aren't any rooms ready.  It's 10:30am.  Checkout isn't until 12.  Check in isn't until 3.  Hello.

4.) That lady who I'm pretty sure was using me an alibi last night.  She kept coming back to tell me weird things or start strained conversations, like how her mom has gained 2 dress sizes and she feels like it's her fault.  It's her fault. It's her fault.  It's all her fault.  She had shaved off eyebrows and odd blond hair that was colored in weird places, and she made a point to ask me if she could borrow a newspaper and then take a walk at 10pm.  Alibi, nutcase, or flirting with me?

5.) That lady who yelled at me at 7:14am because I didn't know where the marine depot was.  I know my hotel.  I know the attractions around the hotel.  I even know the restaurants and shops around the hotel.  I've never heard of the marine depot.  I offered to Google it and she informed me that it was .# miles away and how could I not know where it is?!  Well fuck, if you know where it is, why the hell are you asking me?

6.) The drug smugglers who are always older female pairs (like a mom and daughter) who buy a bunch of cheap crap then get real panic-y about mailing things IMMEDIATELY.

7.) The man who almost got me fired because I failed to call him back to tell him that we don't have extra extension cords.

8.) The lady last night who was pissed off at me because we were out of coffee.  However, I was the only one on duty and couldn't leave my station so there was nothing I could do about it.

9.) Furthermore, it makes no goddamn sense to only have one worker at a time at any job.  I mean this.  When it's one person, that person doesn't have the tools nor time to be 100% helpful to a guest.  Like last night when I was trying to check a guest in while also answering two calls and dealing with another guest waiting impatiently to help them.  What kind of service can I give when I'm that stressed out?

10.) And my hotel is shit.  The heaters don't work, the safes don't work, the bathrooms are too small, there are too many shitty view rooms, we could have sold out last night which would have giving us workers and the hotel a bonus but they decided to put 23 hours out of service to redecorate the wallpaper during a PEAK VACATION week, sometimes we have 1 pen we all have to share, the computers freeze up every 45 minutes which makes us look like slow idiots in front of guests, and I'm so busy trying to make it satisfactory that I really can't go above and beyond.  This place is designed to be barely adequate and it makes me look incompetent.

11.) And my favorite, when my boss was on the phone with an angry guest about the lack of our shuttle at 10:45pm.  After 9:30pm our shuttle driver goes home and we pay for taxi rides for our guests.  So here's my boss trying to explain it over the phone, "Sorry, sir our driver is no longer here but we will pay for a taxi." "Yes sir I know it's frustrating but we will pay for it." "Sir, I'm trying to help you." "We will pay for it." "Sir, we will pay for your taxi." Suddenly my boss hung up and looked horrified.  I asked what happened.  She looked at me and said, "Well, you heard me. I was saying, sorry sir we'll handle it. Yes sir, I'm sorry.  And the guest snapped at me, 'I'm not a 'sir', I'm a ma'am!  I'm a woman!'".  My boss got her shit and left early. 

Ok, where can I apply to next?

0 comments:

Post a Comment