Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 10--One month since graduation

It has been exactly one month since I walked in my maroon robes and cap and accepted my diploma. I find myself now around 1am in a beach house a few blocks from the ocean.  I've got my ASU sweats on and my bikini somewhere on the floor.  It's been a crazy month, and here's what I've been up to:

Week 1: Went to the dentist, the doctor, got my car worked on, paid my phone bill, packed up 4 years of my life,  and had a wonderful goodbye dinner with 15+ friends at La Bocca.  We laughed, we feasted, we were merry.

Week 2: Drove from Arizona to the Bay Area.  Went to an extended family member's high school graduation (I find graduations so inspiring.  Yes, I'm a sap).  Visited old friends in San Francisco, San Jose, and Pleasanton.  Spent a few days with my feisty 83-year old grandma who answers, "Fine.  Sassy," when you ask her how she's doing.

Week 3: I temporarily moved in with my boyfriend in San Diego, and enjoyed the beach down the street while unpacking my life.  The seeds of panic that college was over and I don't know what to do with my life sprouted.  I contemplated becoming a candle maker, a veterinarian, a reporter, a sailing instructor, a baker, a UniFEM worker, and a novelist.  I should mention that I don't know how to make candles, I don't like animals that much, I loath the idea of reporting local boring shit, I have never sailed, I haven't baked since January, I'm afraid to work outside of the US, and the longest story I've written is 8 pages.  Panic.

Week 4: Decided that working for a certain magazine in SF is the goal I'm going to work towards.  Even if I don't make it, the resume I build will help with something else.  I applied for a job at a local coffee shop on Wednesday, got the job on Thursday, and was already unhappy with the job by Friday.  Not enough hours, not enough pay.  I went on a shopping spree to lift my spirits and bought a Santoku knife, a black cutting board, a green polka dot oven mitt, a snazzy white purse, thank-you cards, more of my favorite Uni-Ball Impact 7mm blue pens, and tickets to LA Rising with Lauren Hill, Muse, and Rage Against the Machine. 

This is a little redundant from a previous entry, but here's my progress of my year's goals:

Goals for the next year:
1.) Get a job, and or, find a career. Preferable a good one = 30% done. I got a job at a local coffee shop, so it's better than making $0 an hour, but the pay is horrible and it's only part-time.  I start training next week.  I'm going to need a second job to pay bills, preferably more in my field of interest. And no, I haven't started working towards a career.  I have however, decided that I want to write for a magazine as my end goal, so at least I have direction and a dream.

2.) Find my own place to live with new roommates = 0% done.  I've been living with my boyfriend, which has been really really great and I'm so thankful to him and his roommates for letting me crash.  Still, I want to find a place with some cool chick roommates to have that independence and craziness.

3.) Make new/more friends = 1% done.  I've reconnected with old friends and friends of the house here, but I haven't yet made my own.  I'm hoping working somewhere local will help.

4.) Eat things besides Mac&Cheese and pizza = 5% done.  I got a really incredible cookbook for Christmas that I've finally been working through.  It's the easy recipes for now, so I've made an omelet, BLTs, and a chicken caesar salad from scratch (yup, made the dressing and baked the croutons).  But I've had pizza twice in the last 24 hours, the last fruit I had was a banana with cinnamon on top, and the last veggie I ate was in a mojito.

5.) Do yoga at least twice a week = 0% done.  Have you seen the price of yoga per month?!

6.) Jog a few times a week = 1% done. I've been waiting to buy an iPod shuffle with money from my bike sale.  It just sold so hopefully I'll be up and "running" in a few days.

7.) Make a financial investment = 10% done.  I've saved some money from grad money so I have the funds to invest, but I haven't met with anyone yet.  I'd like to wait until I have a steady income.

8.) Have better style = 2.5% done.  I'm going to be ambition and try to obtain 100 new pieces of wardrobe in the next year.  My closet and style badly need an update.  So far I've bought a peace-sign necklace, a snazzy white purse, and I'm in the process of getting some Rock Revival jeans shipped here. 

9.) A year from now, be able to be proud of something I've made and become = I don't think I'll be able to measure this until a year from now.

Check back in next month!

0 comments:

Post a Comment