Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day 5--Robert Frost's haywire compass

The poet Robert Frost was a favorite in my elementary school, then again in my high school.  I used to memorize and recite his poems on Tuesday mornings and to this day I have a wealth of images stored in my brain of snow-covered forest trees and golden dirt pathways through the woods. 

Today I'm re-reading his most famous poem, 1916's "The Road Not Taken", which is about a traveler who finds himself at a crossroads in the forest and must make the decision to either walk down the beaten path, or the unused path.  

This poem is taught in school as a symbolism of individualism and taking a chance on risk rather than live with mundane expectations.  Life, however, is not a binary.  And what I'm finding as a post-grad is that there are too many paths, too many opportunity costs, and too much work to reach each one to turn back.  I'm rather paralyzed.  Here's a fun little chart:

My top favorite careers
Step 1
Step 2
Step 3
Finish
Magazine writer
Write for local papers writing crap I don't want to write, unpaid, to have resume (1 year)
Work for local magazine, unpaid, to have resume (1 year)
Move to SF or NY with an internship, unpaid (summer, longer)
Finally a magazine writer, hopefully paid enough for rent and life (total time ~3-5 years)
Editor for a book publishing company
Move to NY and try to get an internship (6 months)
Work as an underling for several years at the company (5-10 years)
Wait for a spot to open up (?)
Finally a book editor. (total time ~7-10 years)
Best-selling novelist
Write, write, write (lifetime)
Submit work and hope to be published, hopefully get an agent  (lifetime)
Keep writing and hope enough books sell that it can be a career (lifetime)
Never stop writing, hope the sells never stop (total time~ 1year-lifetime)
Professor of English and Media
Work for local papers/magazines (1-2 years)
Get an internship and a job down the road.  Work there several years to gain reputation (5-15 years)
Go to Grad school and PhD program, still work at mag (6-10 years)
Find a university to teach at. (total time ~ 20-30 years)

So there you go.  Three years to a lifetime of working, waiting.  Very unpaid.  A probable move to the East and for dubious results.  Can you see why I'm stuck?

I have a full page of local papers I'm going to contact tomorrow morning, and another page of theaters in the area I'm going to apply to as part-time work.  I also have a local directory of places I can try to work at.  I need to get to it. I need to put myself out there doing...something. Frustrated.  Discouraged.  Must have courage. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment