Friday, September 23, 2011

Day 113-- Author signings and paradigm shifts


Rubbin' my eyes and stretching my neck.  Was this morning only 14 hours ago?  It's been a good day at the publishing house.  I got in and everyone was in a real peachy rosy kind of mood--maybe because the corner cubicle grump was out sick.  

The co-owner came up to me and asked me about my 'getting a high school student published' contest project that I had presented last week.  I was a little ill prepared to pitch it to her, as I figured her husband (the other co-owner) would have talked about it at home.  She was very much excited and recommended that I talk to the San Diego Council of the Arts (?) who give out grants.  I have a list of about 60 different organizations/donors/and grant foundations I need to talk to, but I was grateful for her enthusiasm and her top choice.

I emailed her the project draft and she said she'd email some feedback on it tomorrow.  Sweet.

The rest of the day was spent on hootsuite.com doing media promotion via Facebook and Twitter scheduled for the month of October.  Since one of my roommates sorta flaked on not getting the night off from babysitting we didn't go to a play as planned so I went to an author event instead.

This one didn't go as well as my first two.  The first one was a book signing about dog-friendly trails and we had a ton of foot traffic and about 10 books sold (better than average).  The second event was with a historical society which was absolutely packed.  I don't know how many books sold.  At tonight's event only one sold and no one came over to talk to the author.

I blame it on customer indifference and bad timing.  Trust me, we publicized the event in all local papers and websites so I'm not going to credit us for the poor turnout.  No one came for him and the people outside were all aloof, tourists, on their way to dinner, and simply not interested.  Usually author events aren't that lucrative for authors, but it does create buzz and book sales later in the week or month.  

In case you're thinking of becoming a writer, it takes about 3 books sold for a writer to get $10 and while the publishers make a little more, most of that going to printing and shipping costs. Minus the employee wages and there isn't much profit if any.
 
My coworker and I passed the time hearing his inappropriate stories about fat people and he tried to look at my breasts any chance he could, which was creeping me out (I was simply wearing a v-neck and not a low cut one by any means).  He asks how long I was going to be at the publishing house which took us off guard, as technically I'm only there for 6 more weeks but I'd like to work there if an opening happens.  Bottom line: he's a nice old guy without a filter and a vast knowledge of history and writing.

So yeah.  That was the publishing house.  Work at the hotel was better the other day as well.  I checked my check's full report of hours worked(-)taxes and the amount they paid me was correct, which is just dismal.  Then again, I am taking out the full percentage of taxes so I get money back in April instead of owe money so maybe that's my fault. 

I also got my official name tag so I'm no longer in training and I got to work the bar during happy hour, which was fun.  The guys are definitely flirty but in a buddy/bullying type of way with each other.  Most of them are here at the hotel for weeks on end for construction jobs on buildings or naval ships so they have to be respectful with a dash of rowdy.  And everyone finds it fucking funny that I didn't learn how to open up a wine bottle until last week.  

Tomorrow I don't have work until 3 so I'm planning on doing laundry like I started last week, pick up my hemmed pants, the bf and I need to clean up/throw stuff away in the room, I want to make some phone calls, and if I get the time I want to buy (a) a new notebook to write some letters (b) blank discs since the ones I was uses aren't working and (c) maybe buy groceries.  I have some good vibes going into tomorrow.  Till then!a

0 comments:

Post a Comment