Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Day 323-- "Despicable"


"Despicable human being" is such an ugly thing to call a person.  And so pathetically inaccurate.  Strangely humorous.  It's been 10 years since my parents separated and I have forgotten how ugly divorce can be.  The denial stage, the angry stage, the sad stage, more denial, more anger, and finally, either a real effort to make it work or peace to let it go.  

On the day my mom's divorce was finalized I bought her a Togo's sandwich, as it was a Togo's sandwich which was the final nail in the coffin.  We brought food home not knowing my dad would be home that afternoon and in anger he threw plate of old chicken across the room into the sink (shattering it).  Years later he would lament throwing the plate, but as I would explain over and over, it wasn't the plate.  She was waiting.  For a long time.  There was a bag clothes and shoes already in the car just waiting for the right moment.  I know where all of my suitcases are.

0 comments:

Post a Comment