Thursday, August 4, 2011

Day 65--"Lotus Flower" and finding a roommate


I have a fresh haircut and am waiting to hear if I got the book publishing internship or not.  I think my interview went really well.  I chatted with the two women interviewing me for about 45 minutes about the changing industry and their own personal journeys to where they are today.  They showed me around the place and sent me a link about the company's history, so I'm feeling fairly confident.  But who the fuck knows, right?

Yesterday was a really solid good day.  I got up early to buy a white watch to go with my interview outfit, and had enough time to get my car washed (always a happy day).  While I waited for my interview time I sat in my car watching clips on my iPod of my last few months of ASU and laughed out loud while missing everyone.  I came home buzzing from my interview and decided to make flour tortillas from scratch for fajitas.  Later in the night we went over to my boyfriend's roommate's friends kickback at their place, and I had such a blast as we talked about travels and life as we munched on BBQ chicken and sweet potatoes.  

Today has been alright.  My boyfriend and I have been conducting interviews for one of the rooms in the house opening up and it's been a real nightmare trying to find the right girl.  Here's the thing: if someone is looking for a guy to fill a room it's because of things they DON'T want, like drama, or neatfreakness, or attitude.  If someone wants a girl it's because of thing they DO want, like energy, fun friends to come around for parties, beauty (they more attractive your roommate/friends, the more attractive you look to others), dance parties, ect.

The problem with that is, when a guy interviews all he cares about is (1) the location of the place and (2) can he fit all his shit in his room?  When a girl interviews she has a huge checklist upfront and a checklist in her head.  Closet?  Bathroom? Room size?  Vibe of the neighborhood?  Noise?  Everyone's schedule?  How cool are the roommates?  Safety?  Purified water? The list goes on and on. 

When guys interview it's rather easy to stereotype them into the categories, like Working Man, Bro, Military Guy, Asshole, Druggie, Local guy, Cool Guy, ect.  But when it comes to girls they're all different.  One girl who interviewed was in the middle of a divorce (no), one girl I was convinced was a mail-order bride due to her excessive make-up and style that didn't match her personality on top of her trying to transfer schools with only one year left at her school near Canada (who does that?) on top of being a nanny--which isnt' weird in of itself, but I don't know--, oh then there was the germaphob who didn't want to put down a deposit (no), and former self-mutilator who hates people who are under 22 (no).     

Is it so much to ask for a pretty girl who's fun, with fun friends, who's not a bitch, and has a job?  I mean, we actually found 2 of them but they both ended up saying no [not enough closet space]. 

(sigh).  Well, that's what's been what's up.  To finish this entry up, here's a really great song I'm listening to by Radiohead called "Lotus Flower".



0 comments:

Post a Comment