Saturday, August 20, 2011

Day 81-- Guacamole Recipe, San Diego Style


Prologue:

You can't live in California and not like guacamole.  Gauc has a wide range of variation, from gourmet to basic, spicy to bland, as a sharing snack with friends, or a whole meal or as a dressing on sandwiches, but all guacamole contains the same starting ingredients of avocados, onions, and tomatoes.  

On a final note, don't feel bashful about only using half of vegetables.  I know it seems like waste if you only use half of an onion, but as long as you ziplock it, you can use that onion later for fajitas, or tacos, or steak to go along with you guac or for a meal the next day.  The following is my recipe for my own San Diego guacamole that I've tweaked enough times to find what I like.

San Diego Guacamole 

Prep time: 6-7 minutes
Cook time: 0
Total time: 6-7 minutes
Servings: 4

Ingredients:

2 avocados
half of a small onion (save the rest for a Mexican dish for dinner, ect)
1 roma tomato 
1 small lime, or half of a fat lime and save the other half for Coronas to go with the guac ;)
generous amounts of salt and pepper
a sprinkle of garlic salt or a pinch of actual garlic

Directions:

1.) Be choosy at the grocery store when picking avocados.  For some reason they're really expensive so you don't want to buy a dud.  Make sure the avocado is squishy when you squeeze it to know it's ripe and ready.  I tend to buy black Hass avocados at Safeway/Vons, but there really isn't too much difference between these and green avocados usually sold at farmers markets. 

2.) Get out a large bowl and cutting board and chop up your half an onion.  Using the restuarant style of chopping an onion I can chop half an onion in about 45 seconds and not cry.  Chop up your roma tomato and add it to the chopped onions in the bowl as well.

3.) Cut into your avocados and remove the pit.  Here's how to cut and pit an avocado. Use a spoon to scoop out all of the avocado meat into the bowl.  Cut your fat lime in half and squeeze one half's juice into the bowl.  

4.) Generously shake salt and pepper and a dash of garlic salt (or a pinch of actual garlic) into the bowl.  Mash all of the ingredients together extremely well.  Add a little more of this or that depending on your taste buds.  All done!

Review:

It's all about the lime.  I love a limy guacamole with a nice bit of salt and pepper and a hint of garlic.  This recipe is my go-to when I'm in a  sublime California mood and feel like sharing the love with roommates and trust me, it's always a hit.  

(laugh) Actually, I was a tad annoyed because I had a good bit left and put it in the refrigerator so I could add some guac to fajitas I was making later for dinner.   But alas, I see a very empty container in the sink and my boyfriend with a cat grin on his face when I asked him where the rest of the guac went.  This may happen with the recipe ;)  Happy cooking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment