Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 67--Homemade Flour Tortillas recipe


Prologue: 

I'm one of those on-paper Mexicans.  We haven't spoken Spanish in my family for two generations, and my grandma on my dad's side was the only one I remember making homemade tortillas.  I was driving past a Chevy's the other day when I remembered the smell of their freshly made tortillas that I would always order extra batch for the ride home.  I decided to make some at home, and let me tell you, I'll never buy store-made tortillas again.

Home-made Flour Tortillas
Prep time: 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 20 minutes.
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Serving size: 8 tortillas

Ingredients: 

4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 generous teaspoons salt
4teaspoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup lukewarm milk (2% is cool)

Directions:

1.) Stir together the flour and baking powder in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl mix together the veggie oil, and salt into lukewarm milk.  Once all incorporated slowly add this milk mixture to the bowl of flour and baking powder.  It should be pretty sticky.

2.) Roll out the dough onto a flour-dusted cutting board and knead well for about 2 minutes.  Return the dough to a bowl and over it with a damp cloth and let it rest for 15 minutes.

3.) Divide your dough into 8 balls.  Return to bowl with a damp cloth cover for 20 minutes.

4.) Roll out your dough balls into 5in-8in circles with a rolling pin or a heavy cup.  It's going to take a bit of muscle strength because of how elastic the dough it.  Basically make them as flat you like your tortillas to be.

5.) Heat up a pan and fry each tortilla until a little crispy on both sides.  Done!

Review:

Delicious.  I'm never going to buy store-bought tortillas again.  It's a bit of a pain without a rolling pin, but the results are well worth it.  I enjoy warm tortillas with some butter as a snack, or use them for fajitas.  

Happy Cooking! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment