Saturday, August 27, 2011

Day 88-- Application-to-awesomeness stats


I'm coming home tonight from sushi with friends and a dark chocolate bar close to my keyboard.  Day two at the hotel job and I was thinking today of my success rate of application-to-job kickass-ness.  

Here are my stats:

Summer 2011
Total # of job applications
Got an interview
2nd interview/job offer
Job offer
Total success rate beginning to end
-The Coffee Bean
-Sunbelt
-Hotel Downtown
-Hard Rock
-Mission Hotel
-Another dwntn hotel
-Hospital data
-Editorship
-Archstone
-Starbucks
-Starbucks
-Local coffee shop


12


5

(42% success)


4

(80% success)


3

(75% success)


3/12

(25% success)


So...this summer I've had about a 42% chance of getting an interview from a job application, and had an excellent chance (80%) of getting a 2nd interview or a job offer after my first interview.  Clearly my resume and cover letter works across the board and I'm pretty decent at getting far after meeting them in person.  Hey, a 1 in 4 chance in getting job any job I've applied to?  Not too shabby.

Best interview: 2nd interview with Archstone, the first one in person.  The people were really loud and bubbly and we meshed so well.  I drove home ready to buy more suits because I was so positive I had the job.  

Worst interview: It's a tie between my 3rd interview with Archstone in which I was way too casual and young and took for granted that I had the job (I wasn't offered it), and my current hotel job in which I was confused and unsure of myself because I thought the job position and pay was fixed and I had never been asked how much I wanted an hour and did I prefer fucking early mornings or very late nights.

Job I really wanted (and got): My internship at the largest book publisher in San Diego.

Job I really wanted (and didn't get): Tie: The editorship where I would help proof-read grants or Archstone where I had to wear a suit and heels everyday and make $$ an hour.

Job I'm glad I didn't get: The Coffee Bean Tea Leaf.  I wanted to work there because it was close to Borders Books and food, but Borders is now closed and so is the Mexican place next to it.

Best job this summer: My internship at the publishing house

Worst job this summer: That local coffee shop I worked at for 3 days and it was way too much work, not enough pay, not sanitary enough, and not safe enough.

How I feel about my current job: It's definitely not a career and I don't want to turn into those people, but it's fairly easy work once I'm finally trained properly, and I work in beautiful downtown San Diego.

0 comments:

Post a Comment